Skin Cancer Detection and Prevention in Wilmington and Dover, DE
Protecting against skin cancer and early detection are more important now than they’ve ever been. Replenish Cosmetic is located in Elkton, MD; and Dover, DE; Serving residents of Maryland, Delaware , Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. Dr. David Martini is a board certified surgeon and aims to help patients with skin cancer prevention, detection and removal.
Who Gets Skin Cancer...and Why
- Have fair skin and are prone to freckles
- Have light eyes and hair
- Have light eyes and hair
- Have skin cancer in your family history or a personal history of sunburns resulting in blisters especially if these occured prior to age 18
- Spend considerable time outdoors
- Live at a high altitude, near the equator or in any location with strong sunshine year round
- Had acne treated using radiation therapy
The number one contributor to the development of skin cancer is ultraviolet radiation. Sunlight is the most potent source, but ultraviolet radiation may also come from man-made sources such as tanning beds and sun lamps. Many experts suggest that the rise in popularity of tanning and exercising outdoors are largely to blame for the increase in skin cancer rates seen today.
Types of Skin Cancer
The second most common skin cancer is called squamous cell carcinoma, which often develops on the face, ears, lips or any sun exposed areas. Can appear as a sore that does not heal. It can look like a firm red nodule or a rough scaly flat lesion that can itch, bleed or become crusty.
Malignant melanoma, while it’s the least common variety, is also the most serious. It can appear as a pigmented patch or bump, usually as an irregular mole. What’s more, malignant melanoma is becoming more widespread every year, particularly in the Sunbelt states. If it’s caught early, the cancer can often be eliminated completely. If not, it can metastasize to other areas of the body and prove fatal.
Other Skin Growths You Should Know About
Moles consist of groups of skin cells featuring heavy pigmentation, and they may be raised or flat. Although most are completely harmless, some, especially large moles existing from birth and those with uneven colors or borders, can later become malignant melanomas. Actinic or solar keratoses consist of brown or red rough, scaly areas on the skin. They’re most often seen on parts of the body subject to sun exposure, and they have the potential to become squamous cell carcinomas.
Detecting Skin Cancer
- Asymmetry: One side of the mole is bigger or smaller
- Border: The growth has an unusual, uneven shape
- Color: An uneven or mottled pattern that may be tan, blue or black
- Diameter: The growth gets larger
- Evolving: Significant changes seen in just a week or month
Any non-healing lesion can potentially be a skin cancer.
Treatment for Skin Cancer
You can rest easy knowing that the skin cancer removal methods used by Dr. Martini are designed with your comfort and safety in mind. During your consultation appointment, Dr. Martini will discuss your particular case and options with you in detail.
Preventing a Recurrence
It’s essential to adopt lifestyle changes that help prevent skin cancer, which are also recommended even for people who have never had skin cancer.
- Avoid spending too much time in the sun, particularly between 10am and 2pm. UV radiation is capable of penetrating clouds and water and can even bounce off of snow and sand.
- If you are going outside, be sure to wear protection. Sunscreen SPF 30 (and apply as directed) , long sleeves and a sun hat with a brim that protects the ears, neck and face.
- Apply an SPF 30 with a zinc oxide base (sun protection factor 30) or higher sunscreen to any skin not being covered by your clothing. Reapply it often, particularly after sweating or swimming.
- Check your skin routinely. If you notice anything that worries you or meets the “ABCDE” criteria, please contact Dr. Martini right away. As well, schedule an annual screening.
How Much Does Skin Cancer Treatment Cost in Wilmington or Dover, DE?
Dr. David V. Martini, board certified by the American Board of Otolaryngology, recognizes that each patient has unique requirements and desires. His services have improved the lives of people from the Wilmington and Dover, DE areas as well as Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Dr. Martini specializes in performing Plastic Surgery, Skin Rejuvenation, Hair Restoration, Skin Cancer Treatment and Nasal/Sinus Conditions. Please call 443-345-4131 today to schedule your initial consultation.